Monday, February 10, 2014

Eterni.me, or an idea for a digital immortality - BBC News

longing for immortality accompanied people from time immemorial. Someone – once again – has decided to make money. Arises service, allowing you to talk with the dead.

Eterni.me is to provide users with digital immortality. / press materials

Eterni.me is to provide users with digital immortality.

/ press release

A few years ago Peter Tymochowicz, one of the most famous in Poland professionals pushing people suck (for smoke is called political marketing), promoted by the media service Solaris gate. Media heralded the arrival of Polish “Facebook third-generation” and advertising slogans proclaiming that the service will provide its users with immortality by keeping their memories and experiences for future generations.

quickly found out that Solaris Gate is one of the great hoax and supposedly revolutionary features have proven to be just different named blog. Our longing for immortality is too strong to not give up on it to earn. It turns out that after a few years somebody reverted to the old ideas, preaching the idea of ??immortality through algorithms and data stored in the cloud.


Service Eterni.me established in the framework of the Entrepreneurship Development Program-branded by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. According to information made available by the authors, is to collect all Eterni.me available online traces of our life activity – photos, statements chats, e-mails or social networking statuses. In a word, actually four: all of our digital life.

Collected data to be further processed in a way to create them our virtual alter ego, which – as it happens with the data – apart from the mortal body will continue until until someone pull the plug out of the socket from the server.

In practice Eterni.me reminds Skype with someone from the past. When, after the death of our family behind us miss her, will be able to start wearing our cut avatar and chat with him about our penultimate birthday fishing trip and Kanka, odta?czonym by an aunt after treatment to Jägermeistrem.

Eterni.me on If does not work – started only records for people who wish to receive access to the test version of the service. Is it worth it? I think it will be a large group, for which the digital vision of immortality can be quite attractive, like the ability to chat – even for life – with yourself. And that speaks to the slogan “Simply Become Immortal”.

But you know what? No, I do not like this idea. It is not at all about the hard labor of immortality, vividly presented by Stanislaw Lem in one of the stories in the series “The memoirs Ijon Tichy.” With this there is no problem – the immortal will in the end only saved somewhere old statuses, emails and phone records, processed by a clever algorithm so as to give the impression of communing with the living person (who knows, maybe our avatar credited as the Turing test ‘).

The thing that raises my dislike is the fact that even the most perfect avatar that will only me, for what will feel like the creator Eterni.me. That after years – although I’m naturally mean and vicious – my digital version will pretend life was pleasant, dokarmiaj?cym tits, a nice man, a virtual character is pretending to be me, so that anyone would want to be.

Although probably after the death of my point of view it will be completely irrelevant, it’s life awakens my objection. I’d rather survive in the memory and the memories of my loved ones, rather than rely on a digital avatar.

Lukasz Michalik

gad?etomania.pl

No comments:

Post a Comment